- Proposal: Joining the Inclusive Naming Initiative as a member organization
Re: Proposal: Joining the Inclusive Naming Initiative as a member organization
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 8:23 AM Peng QL Li <lplpli@...
----- Original message -----
From: "Oleg Nenashev" <o.v.nenashev@...>
Sent by: cdf-toc@...
To: "cdf-toc" <cdf-toc@...>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [cdf-toc] Proposal: Joining the Inclusive Naming Initiative as a member organization
Date: Tue, Sep 14, 2021 7:11 PM
This Message Is From an External Sender
This message came from outside your organization.
There has been no negative feedback at the CDF TOC meetings where the matter was discussed. I also got positive feedback from Tracy Miranda as CDF Executive Director. I suggest proceeding with formal voting on applying to the Inclusive Naming Initiative membership.
Binding +1 from me.
I would like to formally follow-up on a proposal for the Continuous Delivery Foundation to join the Inclusive Naming Initiative (INI)
as a member organization.The goal of this initiative is to help projects and companies make consistent, responsible choices to remove harmful language. It was started by several community leaders from the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, and there .
This initiative is important for the CI/CD space, because the non-inclusive terminology (e.g. "whitelist", "blacklist", "master" or "slave") is quite widespread in the industry. And yes, we are working on it in Jenkins.
I would suggest the following:
- The CDF applied to become a member organization of the Inclusive Naming Initiative. Since the CDF is a non-profit, it has zero cost for us as was clarified by Pryanka Sharma. See the list of participating organizations here.
- Best Practices SIG becomes an umbrella for Inclusive Naming and collaboration. Maybe there is a documented best practice created for Inclusive Naming, e.g. based on already existing Jenkins documentation (Jenkins JEP-16: Inclusive terminology guidelines and continuous updates)
- Jenkins terminology is added as one of the related projects along with Kubernetes and a few other projects. Other CDF projects can also join if there is considerable effort focused on Inclusive Naming and terminology cleanup. Jenkins sub-project page.
- I am ready to be a TOC sponsor for the initiative. I participate in INI anyway, so there is no extra overhead for me
- The CDF and the Best Practices SIG coordinate the joint marketing with INI. There have already been a few related posts in the CDF blog.
What do you think?
CDF TOC Member
Join email@example.com to automatically receive all group messages.